Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Don Bayne is a partner with Bayne Sellar Ertel Carter. He received his LL.B. from Queen’s University, an L.L.M. from the London School of Economics and Political Science and an M.B.A. from Queen’s University.
Mr. Bayne has practiced criminal law exclusively for more than 40 years. He has been designated a specialist in criminal litigation by the Law Society and has conducted trial and appellate advocacy at all levels of courts in Canada and at public inquiries (Somalia, Arar, Iacobucci). He has defended all manner of criminal charges including murder, complicated conspiracies, war crimes cases (in Canada, the Soviet Union, Ukraine) and charges against corporations.
Mr. Bayne was the 2006 recipient of the G. Arthur Martin award for “an individual in Canada who has made a significant contribution to criminal justice.”
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Litigation, Law Society
- Queen’s University, Faculty of Law, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- London School of Economics Law School, London, England
- Queen’s University
- Lecturer, Faculty of Law, Queen’s University
- Lecturer, Supreme Court of Canada education program for visiting Judges
- Lecturer, Ontario Court of Appeal appellate advocacy program
- Lecturer, Criminal Lawyers Association programs
- Lecturer, Defense Counsel Association of Ottawa-Carleton programs
- Lecturer, Canadian Bar Association programs
- Lecturer, Ontario Provincial Judges’ education programs
- Lecturer, Law Society of Upper Canada continuing education programs
- Lecturer, Ontario Center for Advocacy Training programs (Advocates Society)
- Lecturer, Bar Admissions Course, Law Society of Upper Canada
Honors and Awards
- G. Arthur Martin award for “an individual in Canada who has made a significant contribution to criminal justice”, 2006 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Advocates Society, Member
- Criminal Lawyers Association, Past Director
- University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation, Director
- Board of Trustees of Queen’s University, Past Member
Related Blog Posts
Mar 23, 2022
Distracted driving has been a hot-button issue for years. And by now, every Ontario driver should know that it is both dangerous and potentially illegal to do things like text while driving. However, too many drivers admit to still engaging in distracting behaviours,...
Feb 7, 2022
Canadian Lawyer Magazine has named Bayne Sellar Ertel Carter one of the top criminal law firms in the country. From October 4 to 29, 2021, the Canadian Lawyer team asked lawyers, in-house counsel, and clients from across the country to select the criminal law firms...
Jan 11, 2022
Defending yourself if you are facing criminal charges does not stop after the trial or plea. There is also the sentencing process to navigate. During sentencing, lawyers can negotiate an agreement with the Crown, or the Court will hand down a sentence. Whatever...