Mandatory minimum senteces for sexual offences are continuing to fall. The mandatory minimum sentence of one year in jail for sexual interference when the Crown proceeds by indictment has previuosly been declared unconstitutional in many cases Now, the mandatory...
The offence of sexual interference applies to situations in which there is any touching of a minor in a sexual manner. This can include masturbation, oral sex or intercourse. Section 151 of the Criminal Code states that every person who, for a sexual purpose, touches,...
With the increased portability of technology, more drivers can stay connected with their friends and family - as well as their favourite modes of entertainment - during their commutes. Whether you remember the frustration of having to find a telephone booth to make a...
You were charged with a criminal offence, such as sexual interference, and released on bail; however, it does not feel like liberty as the conditions on the bail recognizance are incredibly strict. Some examples of strict bail conditions are: house arrest except while...
A recent Superior Court decision in Ottawa (in a case conducted by Bayne Sellar Boxall partner Mark Ertel) is a good example of how the analysis of mandatory minimum sentences plays out in Court [R. v. Laviolette, 2016 ONSC 782]. In that case, the offender was found...
- Announcements (1)
- Appeals (3)
- Assault (5)
- Bail (5)
- Charter Of Rights And Freedoms (5)
- Child Porn And Luring (9)
- Corona Virus (1)
- Criminal Harassment (1)
- Domestic Offences (14)
- Driving Offences (34)
- Drug Offences (17)
- Firearms (8)
- Fraud (1)
- Mental Health (1)
- Murder (2)
- Occupational Health And Safety (1)
- Pardons (1)
- Prostitution (2)
- Sentencing (7)
- Sexual Assault (27)
- Terrorism (1)
- Trials (13)
- Voyeurism (2)
- Youth (27)
- Government Introduces Bill to Get Rid of Mandatory Minimum for Firearms Offences
- Using Text Messages from the Complainant at a Sexual Assault Trial
- Police Need Warrant to Seize Airbag Control Module in Dangerous Driving Case
- How much trouble can a teen get into for cyberbullying?
- Government Introduces Bill to Get Rid of Mandatory Minimum for Drug Offences